Project Tasmania - The Planning

Story about this trip is incomplete if I don't mention about preparation of it. I spent so much of my vacation time on it, it almost had become mini project to me.

I had read about Tasmania long back in Outlook Traveller. Somehow I had decided that time I will visit that place sometime in life, though I not was pretty sure about where exactly it is placed on the map. My geography knowledge is as bad as any other subject.

Though I knew Australia was a great travel destination I didn't know anything other than Great Barrier Reef there. I took a first look at the map of Australia in http://www.australia.com/ when Prasanna was in Melbourne and it was finally decided that I'll join him. Tasmania which looked quite near to Melbourne than Sydney caught my eye.

I knew even after multiple blackmail and pestering, Prasanna would settle for not more than 2 long weekends, forget about a whole weeks off. Though I didn't get much time kick start my project Australia, I had dropped all my wonderful dreams of visiting 'Great Barrier Reef', Gold Coast, settled to something nearer Tasmania, Sydney.

I took all these Great Ocean Drive etc for granted as these are weekend's trip which Prasanna knew everything about.

After reaching here I launched my planning project. I was in the most difficult situation which each traveller face, chose the perfect destination(s) given the short time scale. Somehow I wanted to make it to Tasmania, so I started with all types to logic assist it. Favorite one being - anyway other places can be covered if we take a Thomas Cook package during our retirement trip, but Tasmania is not that easy.

Having said this, I had no source of information other than Internet about Tasmania. I talked to few friends here, everyone said the place is great but none of them had ever visited till now. Still I was determined, I did my research for weeks together and finally was about to finalize on a plan.Then I see weather in Melbourne is going worse day by day. It was very cold, windy, rainy ruining all our current weekend, weekday plans. Suddenly I realized it might be even worse in Tasmania. I checked in the Internet where people advised Spring is the time to avoid Tassie blame it on its unpredictable weather during this time in the year.Prasanna who is normally not really bothered about such things is now not showing enough confidence about this trip.

Meantime it so happened that Prasanna announced he can take out only one long weekend for us and we had to make a tough choice Sydney Vs Tasmania. Being well aware of all the odds, I choose Tasmania. My logic was simple, if one wants to visit such a place which is cold most part of the year we have to be prepared for the cold weather. No! thankfully it wasn't a bad decision, it turned out to be very good decision(I don't think I would've written a detailed blog like this one otherwise ;-) ).

Finally after a harrowing effort for 2 days we got all the bookings. The day we completed the booking I felt as if a release of a major project has been done. I didn't switch on my laptop for couple of days, taking holiday from holiday planning :)

Comments

  1. Planning done. Where is the "execution" part of this project? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About 2009.......

Shreya starts talking!!