My experiment with food

I never enjoyed cooking much during initial days after marriage. Every evening I tried hard on being creative, not in cooking but finding a reason not to cook. Having said that I am a big fan of good food.
It is only couple of years since I finally started to enjoy cooking, that too only during weekends. I even used to collect recipes from my mother, sister, aunts, and Internet. May be it was only that I was in search of good homely food more than the joy of cooking in itself.

Lately I seldom got my hands dirty in kitchen other than preparing Shreya's food, courtesy, my cook. I never bothered to take additional pain in keeping culinary skills up to date. I regret it only after my cookery knowledge is put to test with this trip of mine to Australia.

First day in the kitchen was quite a messy business. I could hardly come to terms with little things, may not be fully because of the new kitchen. Some could be because I lost touch of finer details of cooking. To mention a few, pouring boiling water into a plastic bottle resulting in melting of the bottle and water all over. Leeting tea boil more than the time required resulting in the tea all over the hob. And then there is this kitchen sink faucet which splashed water all over when turned on!!

Apart from all these, first couple of days I hardly had any familiar ingredients for cooking. There was a garlic paste, few vegetables, some masala I had brought from India. I did some mix and match to survive two full days with these. I prepared a veg Paulo/biriyani whatever one may call it and a mixed veg curry with chapati(ready to eat) containing almost the same ingredients.

Finally we visited an Indian shop to get some Indian groceries, which not only filled up cabinets it also filled up even my confidence in the kitchen :)

And then I ventured out myself to shop at a near by supermarket. It had quite interesting spread of food ingredients.I was really excited to try out all different things which I always wanted to.

So far I've tried out veggie burgers,Indianized pasta, celery soup, tomato + celery soup, roasted butter nut squash apart from our resular south/north indian stuff. Need to try more. Kitchen was never a fun place before to me. I'm sure it won't be this exciting even after going back to my own kitchen. May be at least it wouldn't be the boring place as before. So, cooking turned out to be one of the best part of vacation so far to my surprise. But do not ask Prasanna for feedback of my cooking :)

Comments

  1. Hee hee! Good luck... to Prasanna ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, nice one. We will check with Shreya how's momma has been cooking these days :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About 2009.......

Shreya starts talking!!

Project Tasmania - The Planning