About 2009.......

Finally, again I am blogging.....Someone told me that any time pass blogger would give up within a year. I was skeptical about me being one of them. As time passed, I just couldn't take time off for blogging. Again asked someone else, would it take another overseas trip for me write blog? Well, may be, but I didn't wanted that to happen. Another trip, yes, but waiting till it happens to write a blog??!! No. I was suppose to be enjoying the whole thing....Huh so here I am giving hard time to my laptop keyboard.

Ok, so year 2009 has passed by, no not that I didn't realize it till today. Just that I wanted to share some thoughts about it, even though people have come out new year's party hangover long back and settled in 2010.
Well, I read a lot during last few weeks of December in newspapers and manginess about top 10 this and top 10 that for the year. Not everything really mattered to me so I thought why shouldn't I write about some of those top issues directly had an influence on my own life.....

Swine Flu
I assume this got the highest publicity and it touched each and every one's life. Panic was everywhere. Geography, economy didn't really matter. Everyone started roaming around with a cloth tied to their nose/mouth. Even in office there were precautions being taken by keeping hand sanitizers every corner. At one point I could hardly find people in office, out of H1n1 terror people stopped venturing out of home. So, I too joined the flow, rushed to doc for Shreya's slight fever. Instead of gaining confidence, scene in clinic was horrific with coughing kids and panic struck parents. I remember one statement stressed out doc made when I asked her if it is safe for me to travel to Aussie. " I would be the first one to leave this place and travel abroad, it would really safe there" :) I didn't know whom to blame....doctor for spreading the panic, government for not taking enough precautions about testing kits and so on, media for blowing things out of proportion, myself for blindly following the herd.
As a final thought, one thing for sure, all these periodic psyching seem to have done some good by teaching tiniest amount of cleanliness to our people, who lack basics of it....

Aussie Racial Attacks
There were a lot of media ga ga over it which I had hardly noticed till Prasanna announced that he is travelling to down under. After enquiring various sources and with his own logical reasoning, Prasanna gave me assurance time to time till he travelled. Melbourne was in news with new case of racial attach each passing day, I again started ignoring as Prasanna dismissed all these as media hype and it was quite a nice place to live.

His statement seemed apparent when I visited there. I talked to lots of Indians there about the issue, who again dismissed that one of case they didn't experience themselves anything of those sort.

I still do not know if there is a real problem or something that is perceived. There are couple deaths of Indians now being reported in Melbourne. Again there were so many of murders of Indian students in happening in the US. Is Indians are being targeted everywhere in the world?
Anyway all of us back in our nest. Not that our country is the safest on the planet, just that we will have a sense of security just because it is our home :)

Bangalore - Mangalore Highway Condition
Huh, it is not only this year, I can't recollect when I had seen decent roads in Daskhina Kannada. I guess it is during my college days. Last year it hit peak when Shiradi Ghat road which was closed for over 6 months for repair, sucking in truck loads of money was in devastated state. Though I read about the news, visits to hometown was unavoidable. After a lot of considerations I finally left to my hometown with Shreya on a night bus, not really gauging the gravity of the problem. It was too late when I realized the state of the roads. It was pretty tough 14 hours bouncy journey, which would have taken in an ideal case 8-9 hours. With Shryea crying for water, food and out of tiredness of bouncy journey, I felt India is going back in time, with out basic amenities - no roads, no public toilets. I just hope when Shreya grows up things might be better and I don't have to look for justification on why we are staying here, though there are far better standard of life elsewhere.

Recession
Another hot topic which started in 2008. Whole of the world seemed grim and spending carefully beginning of the year. Within couple of months things started changing. By mid year things started turning happy happy specially as we got bonus and decent hike. There were team outings/lunches again, things started looking greener. By last quarter all companies including ours started massive recruitment. At one point interviews schedules were far more hectic than actual work. But no one seems to be complaining :) nice to have hectic schedule when nervous layoff season just passing by....

Super Hatches Bombard Indian Market
Suddenly 2009 saw new generation of smart cars with trendy features. Honda Jazz, Skoda Fabia, Hyundai i20, Fiat Punto....marked this new generation. Timing was superb for me, I had a quite a lot of choice. I bet I made a right choice with my i20. Amazing car with real cool features. I wouldn't bother about any other car for years to come :)

Climate Change
This is one thing every passing year we hear more. Actually this year this climate change seem to be more evident, be it haphazard rains or Bangalore not witnessing winter. Climate change was visible even during our Aussie visit. Winter was extended for over a month than the actual becoming a major hindrance for most of my plans of roaming around. Things might change drastically, man seem far too small and helpless in front of mother nature. Nature is going to hit back hard when man is still busy doing politics instead of tackling such sensitive issues.

Vishnuvardhan, end of an era.
Just as in movies, the roller coaster year had a some tragedy in the climax. Kannada lost one of its greatest hero marking end of an era. There are only couple of heroes left of that golden era. I don't think Kannada movies will ever get such heroes or that charm as in 80's - 90's. Or just that I do not follow Kannada movies that much now or one more possibility which I would rather not mention(I am already getting old??!!!).

3 idiots
Grand finale for the year with the nice movie of my favorite hero. Despite all those hype and hungama, a neat and simple movie I enjoyed after years in theater.

Another year went past bringing many new challenges to my life. Somethings are left behind and somethings are carried to the new year. Blogging is one thing which I started in 2009, I want to take it forward for 2010.

Comments

  1. Good to see you add another entry just when I was wondering if it all stopped after Oz ;-) Have a great 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one-year blogger's itch seems to have caught with you :-(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shreya starts talking!!

Project Tasmania - The Planning